Theater Masks

Theater Masks

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My student reads my book

I know it means very little in the agenting world, but I've finally allowed one of my students to read my book. For the past two years I've been very hesitant to do this, but I have a student who is, to put it mildly, a voracious reader. She would be my perfect, ideal audience so I thought I'd give it to her to get some feedback. Since I haven't printed it, she's been reading it during study halls on my computer. Every day she comes in, excited to get reading. She asks me some questions, mostly anticipatory ones trying to get me to reveal what's coming next. She seems enthusiastic about it, and, importantly, told me that it's unlike anything she's ever read before. Her interest and excitement certainly seem genuine - she's the type of kid who, if she wasn't interested, probably wouldn't be making the effort every day to read.

I have to admit, this has given me hope. I've been scared to let a kid read the book since that's who I'm gearing towards.

Now, when I get published (no more ifs - I'm going with WHEN), do I have to thank her? :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes. You have to thank her. :)

    And it wouldn't hurt to recruit a few more kids as beta readers for your work. As they're the intended audience for it, they can tell you what doesn't seem right to them and point out potential areas for improvement. :)

    ReplyDelete